6.26.2009

The hitchhiker at Aljibani

The other day, Beena and I went to the Aljabaani halal meat store in Diamond Bar. Standard procedure, you know? Pick up the stuff, take it home.
We picked up the stuff, but taking it home required a detour.


So we go to our car and old woman with a roller backpack and gypsy-esque clothing is standing outside. Beena and I kindly smile, nod, and cautiously proceed to Maximus almost right in front of her.

She catches Beena's glance.

Beena looks at her too.

I'm weirded out, I just open my door and right as I'm about to get it, I hear her saying something to Beena. Beena, looking totally perplexed looks over at me and asks, "What do I do? She's asking where we're going."

This is where it gets interesting.

Woman: (with a pretty strong Arab accent) Where are you going?
Me: Just home.
Woman: Temple, you go to Temple?
Me: Temple the street, we pass by it. I'm going home though.
Woman: But if you go to Temple, you can take me? Just there. It's very hot.

If you know me well enough, you know what I said.
"Ok."

So she gets in the car, front seat. Beena and I are SUPER creeped out. I've never done this before. Never. And yes, it might be a good deed, I mean the poor woman needed a ride, but what would I do if something went astray??

We're in the car -
Me: Ok, so you want me to drop you off on Temple? The street?
Woman: Um, where is your home? Where are you going?
Me: (oh mother) Umm.. Chino Hills.
Woman: Oh, by the shops. The shops.
Me: Yes, around there.
Woman: You can take me there then.
Me: (what the hay?) I'm sorry, where?
Woman: Chino Hills, yes.



Now keep in mind the ride from the store to Temple is probably 2 minutes - it's just down the street, literally. The ride to Chino Hills is like 10-15 minutes. That's 8-13 more minutes with her. What's going on????

Woman: They have the Sam's Club?
Me: Yes.
Woman: Is that where you are going?
Me: Yes, we need to go to the store (because I was not about to take her home)
Woman: Ok, I go there.
Me: Ok

Silence...

Now I don't remember all the dialogue on the way there, but I remember her asking SPECIFICALLY where we lived. And then Beena asked her where she lives and she hardly responded.

We exit.

We arrive at Sam's Club.

Woman: Do you have any money? I don't have very much. Any change or anything?
Me: I'm sorry, I don't have any change.



Beena had some quarters so she gave the woman 3 dollars, I think it was, in change.

She left the car, said thank you (thank God) and we didn't see her again.

Wow.

2 comments:

Count Sneaky said...

My wife and I go to Sams Club fairly regularly and so far we have had no experiences to match yours. Usually we feel lucky to escae some little old gray-haired ladies driving their buggies at top speed down an aisle while talking over a cell-phone and taking pills at the same time. Funny stuff. Put me down as a friend and follower. My best. Count Sneaky

Shehzad said...

gotta be careful around hitchhikers